It’s no secret that most people hate having their photo taken.
There are a few good reasons for this:
- You always see yourself in a mirror, so when you see your face flipped in photos, it looks… gross. You instantly hate it and want it destroyed.
- If you’re like everyone else, you have a “go-to” photo face that you make whenever someone asks you to pose for a photo. But it’s cheesy, canned, and fake, and you don’t end up looking like yourself.
- Very few people have ever taken a photo of you that you like.
But every so often, you see a photo of yourself that looks good. Really good. And it’s a mystery how it even happened.
Here’s a little secret…
You look your best in photos (and in life) when you’re relaxed, confident, and above all -- genuine.
If whoever’s taking your photo can make you feel comfortable and make you smile and laugh for real, not by saying “cheese,” then you’re in good hands.
Of course, lighting, angles, lenses, posing… all of that stuff comes into play. But even if your photographer gets all of that right, it’s the “genuine” shot that will win out over the rest.
Your photographer is only half of the equation, here. This is a team effort. So… how do you purposefully look genuine in photos? Obviously, forcing it won’t work.
Here are three easy things you can do:
- Boost your confidence with a few "Power Poses" right before the shoot. This video will show you how. It might also change your life.
- Listen to your favorite work-out or “pump up” music in the car on the way to the shoot. Blast it. Get into it. Heck, ask your photographer if you can play it on your phone during the shoot.
- Look directly into the camera lens like you’re making eye contact with a friend. This will create “connection” in the photo, and help make you look both relatable and powerful.
In the end, remember that you’re in control.
No one ever has to see any photos that you don’t like. You get to pick your favorite shot out of a big batch from the shoot. And that one photo -- the one where you look powerful, approachable, competent, and downright sexy -- that’s the one you’ll show the world.